1.04.2009

A is for...*Shudder*

Make it stop! Oh, for the love of God! Make it stop!

I've gone through Abba's Gold: Greatest Hits a couple times now. Why did I start here? Partly for the challenge of reviewing something I don't like and partly because they were listed first in the book. While the production quality is quite good, the lyrics are so vacuous it made my ears bleed. True, it's said that the 90's remastered edition (which is what I listened to) lost a little when the tracks were not doubled up leaving what was once a choir-like effect an empty shell of it's former self; but, that doesn't remove the overall saccharine effect of the album, lots of words come through the speakers but not much gets said (kinda like this post).

That hollowness, that escapism is what I think makes this group, and disco, so polarizing: while a little escape, a little sugar can be a great harbor from the storms of life, a decade long fleeing of the woes of life left a very bad taste in many peoples' mouths.

So, was it worth it? To me, no; to a long time fan, probably; to someone looking for the perfect playlist to small animals with, instant classic.

Falme on!

No comments:

Post a Comment