1.31.2009

Structural Analysis

My apologies for the long delay from my last post, things got a little crazy around casa de deeper: from postal misappropriations to structural failures, it's been a month. I've also delayed writing this entry in the hopes that the materials (The Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra's Blu Blu Blu) would grow on me, it didn't.

Turns out, I'm a fan of structured music (though not structured settlements): I understand Mr Abrams is supposed to be a visionary of free jazz but this recording sounded, in the words of an underwhelmed fan of another disc, like "everyone was doing a solo". While I'm sure there is some sort of coherence here I don't hear it, similar to a problem I had with Francis the Mute from Mars Volta, give me something with an understandable layout and composition and I'll let the day drift by. This may make me a philistine to some (especially a jazz fan relative from Abrams' hometown) but so be it. This recording was a little hard to track down in digital form, Amazon (linked above) has an overpriced CD that should be reserved for the true conosieur while Emusic actually had one for download (about the only thing worth downloading from this free to cheap service).  (August 2011: Emusic has grown greatly since original posting, I feel it is well worth a look)

No comments:

Post a Comment